Difference between revisions of "Subwiki:Setup procedure"
(New page: This article describes the multiple steps of the setup procedure for a subject wiki. ==Deciding a name and a subtitle== The first step is to decide on a one-word name for the subject wik...)
Revision as of 13:36, 28 December 2008
This article describes the multiple steps of the setup procedure for a subject wiki.
Deciding a name and a subtitle
The first step is to decide on a one-word name for the subject wiki. This one-word name comes up as:
- The official wiki name.
- The subdomain name used to store the wiki.
- The variable part of the name of the specific database where the wiki's contents are stored.
The subtitle is a phrase of the form The ... Wiki, where ... indicates the subject in two to four words.
Basic installation and configuration
Reference: mediawikiwiki:manual:installation guide
This has the following important steps:
- Create the database: The name of the database is determined by the official wiki name.
- Download and extract the latest version of MediaWiki from http://www.mediawiki.org
- Use the on-screen configuration process and complete the moves.
- Set up short URLs for /wiki/ to direct to /w/index.php?title= (reference: mediawikiwiki:Manual:Short URLs). Or, copy the short URL snippet code from another subject wiki.
- Set up math mode: The OCaml software has already been installed on the server. Math mode can be set using $wgUseTex.
- Install extensions: Straightforward extensions to install: CategoryTree, LabeledSectionTransclusion, MultiCategorySearch, NewestPages, ParserFunctions.
- Install Google Analytics extension and get an Analytics UID.
- Install ConfirmAccount and SemanticMediaWiki extensions. Both these extensions require some database operations.